Senior Development Associate
Position: Senior Development Associate
Reports to: Deputy Director of Development Operations
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Washington, DC Preferred (or NYC)
Do you want to work at the intersection of politics and Middle East policy and the Jewish community? Are you interested in joining an expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks a Senior Development Associate who will help create resources for the organization’s development team and successfully solicit financial support from donors and other prospective supporters. Working as an integral member of the Development team, the Senior Development Associate will be responsible for collaboratively executing a plan that grows the organization’s operating funds thereby advancing the pro-Israel, pro-peace agenda in the American policy and Jewish communal arenas.
The ideal candidate will have a background in development, with proven fundraising ability. The candidate will have a passion for solving problems creatively, developing new and better systems and brainstorming on ways to improve the resources upon which J Street’s fundraisers rely. They should be a skilled communicator and a highly organized self-starter who is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a talented, motivated individual to join an organization whose influence and reach are growing enormously year-to-year.
The Senior Development Associate is a key member of the Development Department, whose team members are located in Washington, DC, NYC and San Francisco. The Senior Development Associate will work closely with fundraising staff and lay leaders all across the country to achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
We are looking to add a member to the team who is excited to:
- Obsess over the ways that fundraisers at J Street identify and research new prospective donors and improve these systems;
- Closely steward and partner with leaders and donors to reach fundraising goals;
- Apply creativity to further develop programs at J Street for multi-year and planned giving;
- Create timely materials to inspire additional financial support from donors;
- Help design trainings to improve the skills of fundraising staff and key lay leaders around the country.
Project work of the Senior Development Associate includes:
- Stewarding our National Gala honorees to help them reach or surpass their fundraising goals;
- Assessing our planned giving program and suggesting ways to grow the impact of this program; and
- Creating and improving our systems to comprehensively research prospects across the country for political and operating dollars
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with a staff of four and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 70. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in cities including Oakland, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New York and Tel Aviv.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following:
- At least 5 years of experience in the workforce;
- Background in Development work with proven fundraising ability;
- A personally engaging style, with a positive and proactive approach to working with supporters;
- Strong organizational skills with an eye for details;
- Creativity and an obsession with improving existing systems and resources;
- Comfort with technology, data management, and online communications;
- Familiarity with Salesforce, G-Suite and iWave preferred but not required;
- Strong team skills: The ability to work within a structure that includes team members based in DC and across the country; and
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future of Israel, while advocating for an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.