Associate Director of Communications
Reports to: Director of Communications
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Washington, DC
J Street is looking to bring on a talented and experienced writer and communications professional who believes in our mission and will help drive our success building a powerful political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans.
First and foremost, we’re looking for a savvy, creative storyteller, who is adept at writing in a wide range of voices and comfortable with media outreach. The ideal candidate will have passion for winning political battles and fighting for important ideals, and will be attuned to the nuances that make for great messaging. They will be familiar with a wide range of the tactics that drive 21st century communications success and generate media coverage. They will be committed to learning and developing new skills and to mastering the nuances of J Street’s organizational strategy, message and voice.
For this communications team, every day is a new challenge as we react to and work to shape a fast-moving news cycle. The person in this position must be comfortable working in such a dynamic environment on a contentious and rapidly evolving issue. They must think on their feet and write to meet near constant deadlines. They will have the interpersonal skills to build productive relationships with J Street staff and supporters working across the country, as well as with organizational partners and members of the media. They should be passionate about US foreign policy and the role that strong diplomacy can play in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The candidate in this position will work within our integrated communications and digital teams to craft communications strategy and produce a wide variety of incisive and informative content for both online and offline platforms. They will help to generate ideas and be a voice for a powerful and growing organization working on some of the most contentious and important issues in US foreign policy and American politics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft online and offline content including op-eds, statements, list emails, advocacy activations, video scripts and press releases
- Work with the Director of Communications and VP of Communications and Public Engagement to help craft and implement communications strategy and messaging.
- Assist the Director of Communications with media outreach; personally cultivate and build relationships with key media contacts
- Advise staff and volunteer leaders, including students, on messaging for local op-eds and letters to the editor
- Edit supporter-generated content to get it in publishable form, including work with student leaders
More about J Street
J Street organizes and mobilizes pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans who want Israel to be secure, democratic and the national home of the Jewish people.
Working in American politics and the Jewish community, we advocate for policies that advance shared US and Israeli interests as well as Jewish and democratic values, leading to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
As Americans, we advocate in Washington and in national politics for American policy that advances diplomatic resolution of Israel’s conflicts with its neighbors. American policy plays an important role in the Middle East, and the voices of Jewish and other pro-Israel Americans are critical in shaping that policy. Through its advocacy and political work, J Street mobilizes support for American policy that helps resolve Israel’s conflicts diplomatically and reshapes political perceptions of what it means to be pro-Israel.
Within the American Jewish community, we advocate that our institutions and leaders ground our relationship with Israel in the same values they apply to other issues, including freedom, justice and peace – the very principles set forth in Israel’s Declaration of Independence. We urge Jewish communal officials and institutions to demonstrate leadership by speaking out in support of policies that align with our interests and values and against those that don’t. We also promote vibrant and respectful discourse about Israel within the Jewish community, expanding American connections to and support for Israel.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of nearly 70. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 7 US cities and Tel Aviv. The J Street family of organizations includes J Street – a 501(c)(4) nonprofit which is responsible for lobbying and advocacy; JStreetPAC – a federal political action committee that endorses and raises money for federal candidates; and the J Street Education Fund – a 501(c)(3) that works through community engagement, education and programming to advance J Street’s work.
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, preferably for an advocacy group, campaign or congressional office
- Exceptional writing with proven ability to write in a range of voices
- Ability to write quickly under frequent news and organizational deadlines
- Familiarity with contemporary communications tools and tactics
- Professional experience proofreading and editing for substance
- Some knowledge of or familiarity with J Street’s issue areas -- particularly American politics, the US-Israel relationship and/or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative to set and meet professional goals
- Ability to work collaboratively across the organization
- Commitment to mastering the nuances of organizational strategy, message and voice
- Passion for advocacy work and belief in the importance of diplomacy and democratic values
- Excellent interpersonal skills; positive demeanor
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Hours and duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.