Finance and Administrative Assistant
Position: Finance and Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Vice President of Finance
Location: Washington, DC
Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, foreign policy, the Jewish community and nonprofit operations? Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and US Middle East policy?
J Street is looking for a motivated, self-starter with excellent organizational and prioritization skills to fill the role of Finance and Administrative Assistant. The position will be made up of the following main components: ensuring the national office operates efficiently and professionally and supporting the Vice President of Finance with general finance and accounting.
You will be responsible for a wide-ranging portfolio of operations and administrative responsibilities in the headquarters of J Street’s DC office. This will include: processing payments and deposits, reconciling expense accounts, managing the day-to-day office needs, preparing the office for our National Conference and being the first face for those coming into our office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance and Administrative Assistant will need to be able to move quickly between tasks and have a positive, collected attitude at all times. The Assistant is the gatekeeper for a 35-person office. Working along with other members of the operations team, the Assistant will be in charge of the smooth operation of our national office and supporting other regional offices around the country.
- Prepare vendor payments and cut checks on a weekly basis or as required
- Process deposits and monitor bank accounts regularly
- Reconcile staff reimbursements and credit card accounts
- Provide Vice President of Finance with finance and accounting support
Office Manager/Administrative Support:
- Ensure that materials, office supplies and other office needs are in ready supply
- Serve as main point of contact for day-to-day office and tech needs for the DC office
- Manage the front desk of the DC office, greeting guests and answering the main phone line
- Ensure smooth operation and professionalism of J Street’s DC office
- Prepare the DC office for our National Conference
More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 8 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, San Francisco and Tel Aviv. The New York office is the largest regional office (outside of DC), housing both regional and national staff.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Required and Desired Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have the following required skills and characteristics:
- Ability to remain calm and professional in all situations
- Familiarity of basic accounting and financial principles
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Superior time management and problem-solving skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage several projects to meet deadlines effectively
- Eagerness to work collaboratively in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An outgoing and positive attitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- A strong commitment to J Street’s pro-Israel/pro-peace mission
The candidate may also possess one or more of the following desired attributes:
- Proficiency in Google Suite (docs, sheets)
- Prior administrative experience
- Experience in expanding and growing an office
- Understanding of non-profit finance
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Hours and duties may fluctuate based on organizational events and priorities. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on major federal and Jewish holidays, health insurance, commuter benefits, company paid life insurance, retirement and flexible spending accounts.