Regional Assistant, Midwest
Position: Regional Assistant, Midwest
Reports to: Regional Director, Midwest
Location: Chicago, IL
Start date: Immediately
Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, Middle East policy, the Jewish community and fundraising? Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks a new professional to be our Midwest Regional Assistant (RA). S/He should be a highly organized self-starter who thrives on hitting ambitious goals to help J Street expand its political and communal footprint in the Midwest region.
The RA will be a key partner in creating and executing a plan that grows the organization’s leadership ranks, raises operating and political funds and advances the pro-Israel, pro-peace agenda in the American policy and Jewish communal arenas.
The RA is the crucial supporting member of a dynamic four-person team based out of our Chicago office. Specific responsibilities of this position include:
General systems support:
- Maintain regional data so it is accurate, current and stored appropriately;
- Create and manage systems for facilitating regional work flows to ensure we hit our annual goals;
- Keep strategic plans up to date so next steps are clear for members of the team;
- Prepare briefing materials for staff and speaker meetings and events; and
- Help plan and run events.
- Work with the Regional Director to create an annual development strategy;
- Research and identify new financial prospects of $1,000 and greater, and train and manage interns to do this as well;
- Help to plan and implement high-impact donor and prospect events in the region that both raise new funds and expand J Street’s network of leaders;
- Track the team’s donor engagement;
- Draft, edit and prepare donor outreach materials for team use.
- Work with the Regional Director to create a political fundraising strategy each election cycle;
- Help to plan and implement political fundraisers for endorsed candidates to reach political fundraising goals;
- Help to organize meetings between lay-leadership and candidates running for Congress.
- Play a supporting role in building and maintaining a strong political advocacy
structure in the region to effectively advocate at the grass-tops level on issues relating to Israel and the Middle East;
- Help to organize in-district meetings between lay-leadership and local members of Congress.
- Help to ensure strong local representation in public forums;
- Support communication with rabbis and synagogues, providing them with J Street resources;
- Support community events in regional synagogues.
Required and Desired Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have the following required skills:
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including:
- Support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and
- Advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution;
- Highly organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work independently as well as in a team;
- Ability to clearly communicate--superb communication skills at large – written and verbal;
- Comfort with technology: G Suite, Excel, data management and online communications;
- A positive attitude; and
- 0-4 years of work experience.
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Background in fundraising and development work;
- Experience using Salesforce;
- Event planning experience;
- Background on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and understanding of how the conflict plays out in American politics;
- A savvy approach to politics, including an understanding of how to generate influence with members of Congress and candidates for federal office; and
- Experience in community or political organizing (including campus organizing).
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this full-time, junior-level position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Hours and duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.